Bank Hall has been slowly slipping into ruin since it was abandoned shortly after the Second World War. It is an early seventeenth century house, greatly extended and remodelled between 1832 and 1834 in a neo-Tudor style, probably to the designs of George Webster of Kendal. The bulk of its interior has now gone and its external envelope is now in an advanced state of disrepair. Over the last few decades the Group has resisted several unsympathetic schemes for the house which involved drastically reducing its size as well as large-scale building in its grounds.
A new scheme, funded partly by the National Lottery and partly by a discreet enabling development of houses in nearby woodland, would see the hall converted to private apartments, with its shell restored along with the 1832 entrance hall, main hall and the clock tower, which still contains a fine but very decayed staircase. The walled garden would also be restored.
The scheme probably represents the last, best chance to save Bank Hall and we have not sought to amend it; indeed we have made a small contribution through our Cleary Fund to help with the restoration of the clock tower. The volunteers of the Bank Hall Action Group and the Heritage Trust for the North West should be commended for their valiant efforts over the past twenty years to save this important GII* listed mansion.