Hardwick Park, County Durham
Durham County Council
William Anelay Ltd
Hardwick Park, near Sedgefield, Co. Durham was designed by James Paine in 1748 and has now been restored by William Anelay and John Niven for Durham County Council, with the support of an impressive friendsí group. This was a tougher proposition than some equivalent schemes elsewhere in the country: on the southern edge of the old Durham coalfields, near Sedgefield, a local authority-owned park like Hardwick faces serious competition for funds. That showed in its badly neglected and overgrown state: the lake had been filled in, the garden buildings were ruinous and the sculptures vandalised. Among the triumphs of the scheme are the re-creation of the lake and the rebuilding of lost or ruined follies, including the Temple of Minerva and the statue of Neptune.
Knockbreda Mausolea, Belfast; The Restoration of the Lepcis Magna Ruins, Windsor Great Park